Bromelain is a sulfur-containing mixture of protein-digesting enzymes and other compounds found naturally in pineapples. Digestive enzymes that aid in the digestion of proteins are also referred to as proteolytic enzymes or proteases.
Bromelain is a natural anti-inflammatory agent and blood thinner. Research studies indicate that bromelain can be effective in relieving symptoms of heartburn and inflammation associated with injury or infection. It can also reduce swelling and bruising after surgery. Bromelain has these properties due to its ability to block kinins, substances that are produced when tissue becomes inflamed, as well as to break down blood-clotting proteins called fibrins, thus increasing circulation and allowing tissue to drain properly.
Health benefits of bromelain
- Assists digestion in breaking down proteins
- Can be effective in relieving symptoms of heartburn and inflammation
- Can reduce swelling and bruising
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Has an ability to block kinins
- Has an ability to break down blood clots
- May be effective in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Some studies suggest that it may fight bacteria and viruses